Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.


Here's my biggest writing problem, and it's so big it deserves a post of its own.

I ALWAYS reach a point where I'm so anxious to kick the manuscript out the door that I mentally shut down and move it to the finished pile even when it isn't finished. This is completely different from not being able to see the holes because I'm too close; this is just a wall I hit and I'm done, done, done. I could put it away for a month and I'd still feel the same. I actually reach a point where I have to be able to convince myself that I'm finished.

Self-preservation.

And after all of these years, I still don't know if I'm deluding myself or if I'm actually done. Someone has to tell me it's not finished, and then the veil lifts. But sometimes a writer needs to be done. For that moment, we need to believe the freakin' thing is finished.

4 comments:

  1. You do seem to be re-opening this one multiple times. I hope you're not driving yourself crazy with it. At some point, it feel like sailing in fog, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, yes to the fog! love that! actually, i'm not going crazy right now. and that worries me. heh! but i do know submissions have to be perfect in this horrible market. can't turn in something that might need a revision, or even need much of an edit.

    anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've hit that point with my current piece twice now and I've still got another round or two to go. Thursday the fog, Jason mentioned, rolled in and I believed I was done. Saturday I knew what it needed and the fog lifted.

    I keep reminding myself, "You said you wanted to be a writer, honey. Well, this is it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirin, You have a great attitude. I love it!

    ReplyDelete