Tuesday, November 9, 2010
I've been working on my option material and have hit 65 pages (option proposal can consist of synopsis and three sample chapters.) Contractually, this proposal can't be submitted until 90 days after the first book (The Orchard) has been officially approved, and that won't happen until I receive and follow the edit notes. Once the editor approves my corrections and cuts the check, the 90-day clock starts ticking. If everything goes smoothly, the edited material will be approved in December, which means the earliest I could submit proposal for second memoir would be March 2011. I'll have the first draft of second book done by March, so I might decide to wait and submit the entire thing once it's gone through revisions and a good polish.
I don't even like to look at the contract. PUBLISHERS RIGHT TO TERMINATE always jumps out at me.