Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Enlightened and The Walking Dead


On the surface, my two favorite TV shows don't seem to have much in common.

Enlightened and The Walking Dead.

Enlightened has been cancelled, which I guess is why I'm writing this. I'm really bummed, and I wish more people had tuned in. I almost didn't tune in, because the title didn't appeal to me. I thought it was going to be some sappier version of Touched by an Angel, so I went almost the whole first season without watching. One  night when I could find nothing on, I stumbled across E and was amazed by the honesty, the directing, the acting, and the writing—the voiceover being some of the best writing I've run into in a long time.  And I discovered that Mike White was the genius behind the show, and then it all made sense. So I started telling people about E, and their reaction was the same as mine… Didn't think it was anything they'd like. So yeah, I think the title was…while appropriate, also misleading. I also think HBO did a poor job of advertising. They didn't see to know how to portray such a quiet, internal gem.

It took me longer to get into The Walking Dead.  All the silly blood and gore mislead me for a while, and it took some time for me to recognize that this show is really well-done, and the character development is pretty damn awesome.  The best horror is a commentary on society




 and The Walking Dead does that very well.  And both shows deal with redemption and strength-of-character.

I'm sorry Enlightened will be no more, and my heart goes out to everyone who worked so hard to create such a beautiful piece of art.

 This is what I think they should do. I think a mashup of The Walking Dead and Enlightened would make for a delightful baby. The characters from The Walking Dead end up at Abaddonn. Or if that seems too hard, just put some zombies in Enlightened. Chop off some zombie heads, stomp some zombie heads, then blow us away with a philosophical voiceover that shines a light on the very core of who we are, or at least who we'd like to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment